We have been offering this service since the clinic was founded in 1988. Should you choose our clinic, you can be absolutely confident that we will be able to adapt to your needs. Our expertise in this field has allowed us to develop a very effective pain management strategy.
Here is the process to receive this service:
- When giving you an appointment, our reception staff will verify the following information to ensure that we are able to proceed with your abortion with minimal risk:
- First day of your last regular period to determine the number of weeks of pregnancy. If you are over 12 weeks, we will have to refer you to another clinic which specializes in second trimester abortions;
- Height and weight: if your BMI is over 40, we might have to refer you to a hospital;
- If you are diabetic taking insulin, you will need to advise us so that we may give you the proper directions regarding your appointment.
- During your appointment, we recommend that you be accompanied by someone who cares and supports your choice. You will not be allowed to drive for 24 hours following the procedure. We also ask you to fast 3 hours before the time of your appointment.
- After filling out the medical questionnaire, you will meet our counselor alone. She will answer your questions and will check your medical record. If your choice is clear, she will have you sign a form consenting to the procedure and the anesthesia. During this interview, you will discuss the contraceptive method you plan to use after your abortion. If you are interested in a hormonal or copper IUD, it can be inserted by the doctor at the end of the procedure.
- In the operating room, the doctor and nurse will perform an ultrasound to determine the stage of your pregnancy and to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. The nurse will then insert an intravenous catheter to administer a combination of painkillers and relaxing medications (conscious sedation) that can sometimes be combined with the inhalation of a very short-acting relaxing gas, depending on your needs. The doctor will then perform the abortion using the aspiration-dilation and curettage method. Thanks to medications used during the procedure, pain is often non-existent and conscious sedation causes amnesia which is much appreciated by patients.
- Once you’re back in the recovery room, you will be asked to rest for a minimum of one hour to ensure that you leave the clinic in good condition. We will offer you a light snack and provide you with all of the necessary prescriptions.
- After the abortion, once you’re home, we recommend that you rest for 24 hours before resuming your regular activities.
For more information, please visit the Surgical Abortion section of our website or call us at 514-843-7904